Suspect in Mexican mass beheadings arrested
MEXICO CITY – Mexican soldiers have arrested an alleged perpetrator of the massacre of 49 people whose corpses were decapitated, dismembered and dumped on a highway last week.
Daniel Elizondo, alias “The Madman,” a leader of the Zetas drug cartel, was detained in the northern state of Nuevo Leon, a spokesman for the army said Sunday.
Elizondo headed the Zetas trafficking operations in Cadereyta, an industrial town on the outskirts of Monterrey, close to where the bodies were dumped, the official said.
The massacre is one of the worst atrocities committed in Mexico’s drug war, which has raged since President Felipe Calderon took power in 2006 and launched a national offensive against the cartels.