James Freeley with National Media Services Inc. was one of the workers arrested.
“Nobody told me, ‘You broke this law and therefore I am now arresting you,’” he said.
Police say Freeley was “detained” for an illegal sign violation. Jail records show he was arrested, fingerprinted, and booked before being released twelve hours later.
While there is no city code specifically banning projections, according to the city, the images are considered off-premise signs, and therefore illegal.
Over the course of several days during South By Southwest, Austin police officers led by code compliance issued several warnings and tickets, but things quickly escalated.
“After they were cited, they were told to turn it off again and they said they would not,” Code Compliance Assistant Division Manager Ron Potts said. “They were told they would be arrested and they chose to be arrested at that point.”
Leeza Henderson is a local permit consultant working for the ad company.
“It is ridiculous,” she said. “I think the city made a really bad mistake.”
Henderson said after the city threatened to shut down the entire operation, a meeting with city representatives was quickly scheduled.
“We had five different city officials at this meeting and they all approved us and they all said there should not be a problem with projection and that there is nothing in the code for it,” she said.
One day before the arrest, the company filed a cease and desist action against the city.
This New York ad agency says they’re not done with the fight. Attorneys for the company say they plan to file a civil rights violation lawsuit in federal court.
“There is no doubt that Officers of the Austin Police Department and Code Enforcement violated my clients’ Constitutional rights,” attorney Carlos Lopez said in a statement. “We will be seeking redress by filing civil rights lawsuits in Federal Court against every culpable Officer and Official.”
Charges against those arrested range from prohibited use of a sign to interfering with public duties
Controversial NYPD stop and frisk tactic goes on trial after New Yorkers claim it violates Constitution
A Bronx medical student testified Monday that when a trio of plainclothes cops stopped him outside his godmother’s building the excuse they gave was that “there had been a pattern of robberies in the area.”
But the real reason, 28-year-old David Floyd said, had more to do with the color of his skin.
“I felt like I was being told I should not leave my home,” said Floyd. “First and foremost, I didn’t do anything; I am not a criminal.”
Floyd is one of four black New Yorkers who have filed a class-action lawsuit against the city that targets the police department’s controversial stop-and-frisk tactic.
The NYPD is laying “siege to black and Latino neighborhoods,” Floyd’s lawyer Darius Charney charged as the trial got under way Monday.
Propaganda was this years theme at the Oscars….
- Argo director Ben Affleck arrives at the 85th Academy Awards – Source: Reuters
Hollywood’s attempt to re-write history has been condemned by New Zealand’s Parliament.
MPs have today voted unanimously to support a motion from New Zealand First Leader Winston Peters that condemned the way New Zealand is portrayed in Oscar-winning film Argo.
The film showed New Zealand diplomats turning away a group of Americans trying to escape from Tehran during the Iranian revolution in 1979.
In reality, a New Zealander drove the Americans to the airport in Tehran so they could fly to Switzerland.
Peters called it a “grave misrepresentation” of the courageous and commendable role of New Zealand diplomats.
“I move that this house acknowledge with gratitude the efforts of former New Zealand diplomats Chris Beeby and Richard Sewell,” Peters said.
“Our courageous New Zealand diplomats’ inspirational actions were of significant help to the American hostages and deserve the historic and factual record to be corrected.”
Director Ben Affleck defended his portrayal of Kiwis in the film saying it was not an easy decision to make.
“You try to honour the truth of the essence, the sort of basic truth of the story you’re telling,” he told Reel Life with Jane.
Argo won the best film Oscar at last month’s Academy Awards.
- Ben Affleck defends depiction of Kiwis in Argo
- Ben Affleck film Argo wins Oscar for Best Picture video photos
Reports: Iran mulls suing Hollywood over ‘Argo’
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iranian media say authorities are planning to sue Hollywood over the Oscar-winning “Argo” because of the movie’s allegedly “unrealistic portrayal” of the country.
Several news outlets, including the pro-reform Shargh daily, said on Tuesday that French lawyer Isabelle Coutant-Peyre is in Iran for talks with officials over how and where to file the lawsuit. Coutant-Peyre is also the lawyer for notorious Venezuelan-born terrorist Ilich Ramirez Sanchez, known as Carlos the Jackal.
The decision on the lawsuit came after a group of Iranian cultural officials and movie critics screened the film in a closed audience in a Tehran theater late Monday.
Iranian officials in February dismissed “Argo” as pro-CIA, anti-Iran propaganda.
The movie is based on the escape of six American hostages from the besieged U.S. Embassy in Tehran in 1979.
In a bit of incredibly ridiculous news out of California, a rapper from Oakland, who has been performing under the name “Pope Emeritus” since 2006, has threatened a lawsuit if Pope Benedict XVI is called that when he retires on Thursday, according to The New Yorker.
“I don’t care who he is, I ain’t let nobody mess with my brand,” said Emeritus, who before 2006 recorded under the name Notorious P.O.P.E.
The Vatican told the media this week that it did not realize Emeritus laid claim to the name some seven years ago. The rapper from California was not buying that excuse. He said, “They should have done what I did before I picked it out: Google it.”
After 15 years in solitary confinement, the man convicted in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing is reportedly suing for more human contact.
According to the Los Angeles Times, Ramzi Yousef wants to convince a federal judge to live out the rest of his life sentence in a more open prison environment. The judge is expected to rule in the near future whether the
Yousef, now 44, was sentenced to life plus 240 years for his role in the truck bombing that killed six people and injured more than 1,000 at the World Trade Center in February 1993. He is being held at a maximum security prison called “Supermax” in the Colorado Rockies.
The lawsuit argues Yousef is being kept isolated for 24 hours a day because of his conviction – something he cannot change.
“I request an immediate end to my solitary confinement and ask to be in a unit in an open prison environment where inmates are allowed outside their cells for no less than 14 hours a day,” he wrote the warden, according to government records obtained by the Los Angeles Times.
A Santa Barbara View Exclusive Report
Former airline pilot Phillip (alternately, “Philip”) Marshall spent a great deal of time around Santa Barbara last year preparing for the release of his controversial 9/11 conspiracy book “The Big Bamboozle: 9/11 and the War on Terror.”
During the editing and pre-marketing process of Marshall’s book, he expressed some degree of paranoia because the nonfiction work accused the George W. Bush administration of being in cahoots with the Saudi intelligence community in training the hijackers who died in the planes used in the attacks.
“Think about this,” Marshall said last year in a written statement, “The official version about some ghost (Osama bin Laden) in some cave on the other side of the world defeating our entire military establishment on U.S. soil is absolutely preposterous.”
Marshall went on to say: “The true reason the attack was successful is because of an inside military stand-down and a coordinated training operation that prepared the hijackers to fly heavy commercial airliners. We have dozens of FBI documents to prove that this flight training was conducted California, Florida and Arizona in the 18 months leading up to the attack.”
The veteran pilot confided that he was concerned about his 10-year, independent 9/11 study and most recent book since they pointed to the Saudis and the Bush intelligence community as the executioners of the attack that defeated all U.S. military defenses on Sept. 11, 2001. Marshall said he knew his book might cause some people to take issue with him.
Slaying victims Alex and Macaila Marshall with their father, Phillip Marshall.
However, could last weekend’s killings in the remote, gated community of Forest Meadows outside the tiny town of Murphys be another conspiracy? Although sheriff’s investigators don’t know the motive, they reported that the killings as a double murder and suicide. Marshall was found in his home’s doorway in a pool of blood with a 9mm Glock pistol that he had just showed to a friend two weeks ago.
The Calaveras County coroner is having a toxicology report performed on the blood of Marshall and his children to determine if any drugs are present in their blood streams, which is standard procedure in cases like this. Reports from the county sheriff indicate the children were sleeping when shot. The coroner said Macaila Marshall, 14, and Alex Marshall, 17, were lying 6 feet from each other on separate parts of a large U-shaped sectional couch.
When asked whether it was possible the children were drugged, the coroner said he couldn’t say yet. “That’s a good question,” he said in published reports. “We will be checking tox on everybody. It did appear as though they were sleeping.” The toxicology results and pathologist’s report could be completed within three weeks.
“Cause of death is all going to be single gunshot wound to the head for everybody,” the coroner said. The family dog also was found dead from a gunshot in a bedroom.
Calaveras County officials said conspiracy theories about the deaths are growing on online comment forums below stories about the incident. Many of these stem from Marshall’s involvement with the CIA as a contract pilot in the 1980s and the books he wrote about 9/11.
The children’s mother, Sean Marshall, was traveling on business in Turkey at the time of the killings. The coroner said she is expected to arrive in the area soon to make funeral arrangements.
2008 crime reports indicate friction between Marshall and his spouse. Phillip Marshall was jailed briefly on suspicion of slapping Sean Marshall’s sister, but he was not prosecuted. Last year, Marshall told one of his book editors that he still was disputing custody of his children with his ex-wife, but gladly attended his son’s football games and was quite close with daughter.
However, at that time Marshall was heavily involved with publishing what became his last book.
“After an exhaustive 10-year study of this lethal attack that used Boeing airliners filled with passengers and fellow crew members as guided missiles, I am 100 percent convinced that a covert team of Saudi intelligence agents was the source of logistical, financial and tactical resources that directed essential flight training to the 9/11 hijackers for 18 months before the attack,” Marshall wrote. “This conclusion was determined six years ago and all subsequent evidence has only served to confirm this conclusion.”
On March 1, two former U.S. senators, who headed separate 9/11 federal investigations, also raised the possibility of Saudi involvement in the attacks that killed 3,000 people and spurred the global War on Terror. In sworn statements that seem likely to reignite the debate, former senators Bob Graham and Bob Kerrey, who saw top-secret information on the Saudis’ activities, said they believe that the Saudi government played a direct role in the terrorist attacks.
“I am convinced that there was a direct line between at least some of the terrorists who carried out the Sept. 11 attacks and the government of Saudi Arabia,” former Senator Bob Graham said in an affidavit filed as part of a lawsuit brought against the Saudi government and dozens of institutions in the country by families of 9/11 victims and others. Graham headed a 2002 joint congressional inquiry into the attacks and has claimed he was muzzled into silence about his committee’s findings in 2002 by former Vice President Dick Cheney and other top members of the Bush intelligence community.
In his own sworn affidavit, Kerrey said “significant questions remain unanswered” about the role of Saudi institutions. “Evidence relating to the plausible involvement of possible Saudi government agents in the (9/11) attacks has never been fully pursued,” Kerrey said in a March 1, 2012, New York Times article.
The affidavits, which were filed Feb. 24, are part of a multi-billion-dollar lawsuit going through federal courts since 2002. An appellate court, reversing an earlier decision, said in November that foreign nations were not immune to lawsuits under certain terrorism claims, clearing the way for parts of the Saudi case to be reheard in U.S. District Court in Manhattan.
Last year, Marshall spoke on the national radio broadcast AM Coast to Coast. He said the entire 9/11 episode was “a political stunt to favor the American shadow government that is currently doing business as the U.S. intelligence community.”
MCALLEN, TEXAS (AP) — The family of a U.S. Customs Enforcement agent killed in a 2011 ambush on a Mexican highway and another agent who survived are suing the government and others.
The federal lawsuit filed Tuesday in Brownsville arises from the Feb. 15, 2011, attack on U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents Jaime Zapata and Victor Avila.
They were attacked in their armored SUV near San Luis Potosi, Mexico.
Zapata died, and Avila was seriously wounded.
The lawsuit names the agents’ supervisors among nearly two dozen others. It alleges that Zapata and Avila never should have been sent on the dangerous mission, their armored SUV was flawed and at least two of the guns used in the attack were bought in the United States.
FORT HOOD SHOOTINGS; Military Deems Survivors Victims Of ‘Workplace Violence’ So They DO NOT Qualify For Combat Related Veterans Benefits
Obama pimps the victims for his own political benefit… then he dumps them. It must be in “the blood” he shares with the Bush Family. Bush pimped the 911 First Responders, abandoned them when they became sick, then he signed a bill that set aside $1 billion, not to help the sick, but for New York City to use as a legal fund to fight AGAINST the 911 First Responders in court.
The Fort Hood victims are suing… good.
Spread the word about this so we can embarrass the government into treating these people properly.
2013.2.13 Dramatic Video Of Ft. Hood Shooting Aftermath (ABCNews, youtube.com):
Victims have been neglected, says hero cop Kimberly Munley.
2012.11.6 Fort Hood Victims Sue US Over Shootings (AP, military.com):
On the third anniversary of the Fort Hood rampage, 148 victims and family members sued the government Monday for compensation for the attack allegedly carried out by an Army psychiatrist who is awaiting trial.
The lawsuit alleging negligence by the government said that the Defense Department is avoiding legal and financial responsibility for the killings by referring to the shootings as “workplace violence” rather than as a terrorist attack.
ALBANY — The state Rifle and Pistol Association filed a notice of legal claim Tuesday against New York over its new gun-control law, saying it violates residents’ “fundamental constitutional rights to lawfully possess, keep, bear and use firearms for self-defense and other lawful purposes.”
The notice of claim is the first step in filing a lawsuit against the state. The lawsuit would have to be filed in 90 days.
The plaintiffs in the lawsuit include the Westchester County Firearms Owner’s Association and AR15.Com LLC, operator of a gun website based in Farmington, Ontario County.
The seven-page notice, filed in Albany with the state Attorney General’s Office, charges that there are a number of reasons why the new law is unconstitutional. It claims that the law, passed Jan. 15, violates interstate travel with a lawfully possessed firearm, criminalizes and bans the possession of certain firearms and ammunition and impacts private businesses.
The notice said that the law, called the NY-SAFE Act, “was passed and is being continuously enforced with the ongoing tortious intent to harass, harm, impede, interfere with, disrupt, interrupt, and/or destroy the present and future business and commercial activities” of gun owners and businesses.
Two vocal opponents of Naperville’s initiative to install wireless electric meters on homes were arrested after interfering with the installation process, according to city officials.
Police are accompanying crews this week as they install smart meters at homes that previously sent away installers.
“The previous installation attempts were met with some resistance and we wanted to ensure our employees’ safety,” City Manager Doug Krieger said.
Naperville has installed smart meters on 57,000 homes and is about 99 percent through with the process. Officials have said the project will make the electric system more reliable and efficient and reduce costs.
However, the Naperville Smart Meter Awareness group has expressed concerns over whether the wireless meters will affect health, security and privacy. The group has a federal lawsuit pending against the city.
The two women arrested Wednesday are leaders of the group.
Malia “Kim” Bendis of the 2200 block of Mercer Court was charged with two misdemeanors — attempted eavesdropping and resisting a peace officer.
Jennifer Stahl of the 1400 block of Westglen Drive, received two ordinance violation citations — interfering with a police officer and preventing access to customer premises.